Author Notes: My mom makes this recipe every year for good luck, and now I do too. It's simple but everyone loves it. - Emilie
- 1 pound Great Northern beans
- 1/2 onion, chopped, or more to taste
- 1 cup chopped celery leaves, and some of the inner ribs chopped if desired
- 1 ham bone with some ham still attached
- 2 pounds ham, cut in 1 inch chunks
- salt to taste
- Pick over beans and soak in water overnight.
- Drain and rinse beans.
- Put beans in large pot and cover with 6 cups of water.
- Add celery leaves, celery if desired, onion, ham and ham bone.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, and partially cover with lid.
- Simmer for 2 hours, until desired thickness (we like ours thick, but you could also make it soupier). Add salt at end depending on how salty your ham is.
- Serve with cornbread.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Beans