Author Notes: My mom originally snagged this recipe from a Wilton cake decorating pamphlet circa the 1980s. We've tweaked the recipe over time to our liking (no more shortening!) and use it for cakes, cookies and more. - Sarah
Makes 4 cups
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioner's sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons skim milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- dash salt (optional - use only the tiniest dash)
- Use an electric mixer to cream together the butter, sugar, milk and vanilla.
- Blend on medium speed until all ingredients are well combined and of a fluffy consistency.
- Refrigerate the frosting to stiffen further, or use immediately to ice cakes or cookies.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Frosting