If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I adapted this recipe from Michael Turback's recipe for Cioccolato Caldo found in his book Hot Chocolate.
It's meant to be served in smaller amounts. A little, or a lot, of whipped cream on top is how they serve it in Venice.
I make it with non-dairy, coconut milk beverage. Michael's recipe calls for regular, whole milk. Use whatever milk you fancy.
Use quality dark chocolate in this recipe. Lindt, Green and Blacks, Ghirardelli are all good brands that are readily available in most markets.
My Real Vanilla Bean Sugar (recipe on my blog) is wonderful in this recipe. But you can use regular white sugar too.
Cornstarch is the secret ingredient. A wee bit is mixed with water and added to the simmering chocolate, creating a thick and creamy cup of proper hot chocolate. Believe me, it works like a charm!
If you don't finish it, you can actually store it in an airtight container in the fridge for a day or two. Reheat in the microwave until warm. Stir a spoonful or two into your morning coffee for a delicious mocha.
- 1 3.5 ounce bar of quality, dark chocolate, chopped into small pieces.
- 1 cup of coconut milk beverage or regular whole milk. If you like it even darker and richer, use 3/4 cup of milk.
- 1/4 teaspoon of cornstarch mixed with 2 teaspoons of water. (See notes)
- 1 teaspoon of my vanilla sugar or regular white sugar. How much sugar you add is a matter of personal preference.
- Put the chopped chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave until chocolate melts. Be careful not to burn it. Stop and stir it a few times as you melt it in the microwave. Put the coconut milk or regular milk and sugar in a pot. Heat it on medium heat. Bring to a gentle simmer. Add some of the milk to the melted chocolate and whisk to combine. Add the melted chocolate to the pot with the rest of the milk along with the cornstarch and water solution. Simmer for 3-5 minutes, whisking the whole time. The more you cook it the thicker and creamier it will be. Sip and Enjoy!
Match your style to your arrangement
Flower arrangements for your style.
Did you say vacation or cocktail?
Know (and shop) the basics.
Never buy frozen yogurt again.
The chicest apron around.