Author Notes: This is a sweet and spicy rich topping, perfect for the holidays. It can be made thin like a glaze or thick like a true caramel. - chefw3
Makes 1 cup
- 8 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons half and half
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- tiny dashes salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Over medium heat, in a small saucepan, bring sugar, half and half, butter, molasses and salt to bubbling.
- Stirring constantly, cook for 7 to 10 minutes until caramel is thickened, keep in mind it will thicken a bit when it cools. The less you cook, the thinner of a glaze it will be. The more you cook, the thicker, like true caramel.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla, and spices. Allow it to cool a bit. Drizzle or pour while still warm over your treats.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Frosting