If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A small dose of good alcohol in this citrus buttercream elevates a basic cake into a phenomenal one. This is a riff on the stunning and inspiring Stella McCartney cake from the Apollinas blog. The booze makes it just a touch more adult and sophisticated. - Posie Harwood
Food52 Review: Farmlovecooks makes a super fun adaptation of the Stella McCartney citrus buttercream. I made the McCartney cake last year, and I remember the frosting took a far backseat to the lemon curd in the center of that cake. Alas, I was curd-less this time. However the addition of the booze- I used limoncello -elevates the zest, and the addition of lime turns the frosting into the out-there cousin of the lemon-curd center. Smeared atop an orange-zested vanilla cake, this is a delectable and sassy frosting, indeed- and quite a POW after so much apple pie! - meet your baker
Makes 1 batch
- 2 cups butter (4 sticks), at room temperature
- 1 pound powdered sugar (scant)
- Zest of 2 lemons
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon citrus liqueur, either limoncello or Cointreau
- Pinch of salt
- Beat the butter and sugar together in a stand mixer until very light and fluffy (about 3 minutes).
- Mix in the orange juice and citrus liqueur.
- On low speed, slowly add the sugar, salt and zests and beat until incorporated.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Frosting
Soffritto: The Superstar
Your new favorite three-ingredient ingredient.
Soffritto's a superstar.
Lettuce love vegetables.
The Daily Grind
Bold and brewtiful coffee.