Author Notes: A small dose of good alcohol in this citrus buttercream elevates a basic cake into a phenomenal one. This is a riff on the stunning and inspiring Stella McCartney cake from the Apollinas blog. The booze makes it just a touch more adult and sophisticated. - farmlovecooks
Food52 Review: Farmlovecooks makes a super fun adaptation of the Stella McCartney citrus buttercream. I made the McCartney cake last year, and I remember the frosting took a far backseat to the lemon curd in the center of that cake. Alas, I was curd-less this time. However the addition of the booze- I used limoncello -elevates the zest, and the addition of lime turns the frosting into the out-there cousin of the lemon-curd center. Smeared atop an orange-zested vanilla cake, this is a delectable and sassy frosting, indeed- and quite a POW after so much apple pie! - meet your baker
Makes 1 batch
- 2 cups butter (4 sticks), at room temperature
- 1 pound powdered sugar (scant)
- Zest of 2 lemons
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon citrus liqueur, either limoncello or Cointreau
- Pinch of salt
- Beat the butter and sugar together in a stand mixer until very light and fluffy (about 3 minutes).
- Mix in the orange juice and citrus liqueur.
- On low speed, slowly add the sugar, salt and zests and beat until incorporated.