Author Notes: My Grandmother, who is 98 years old, used to make this cake for us when we were little. She lived in Upstate New York & Montreal where they have delicious maple syrup which she used in the frosting of this cake. - jvcooks
Makes one 9x13-inch cake
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cups whole milk
- 2 cups flour
Maple Syrup Frosting
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 2 eggs, whites only
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13-inch cake pan.
- Using a standing mixer, cream together the sugar and shortening. Add in eggs and vanilla and continue mixing until combined.
- In a separate bowl mix together the salt, baking powder and flour. Add the dry ingredients into the sugar/egg mixture alternating with the milk until the flour is completely incorporated.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- To make the frosting, beat two egg whites to stiff peaks and set aside. In a sauce pan, bring maple syrup to a boil. Add a pinch of salt (I like to use flaky sea salt). Add hot syrup in a slow steady stream to the beaten egg whites continuing to whisk the whites while adding.
- Frost cooled cake.
- This recipe is a Wildcard Contest Winner!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!