If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My Grandmother, who is 98 years old, used to make this cake for us when we were little. She lived in Upstate New York & Montreal where they have delicious maple syrup which she used in the frosting of this cake. —jvcooks
Makes one 9x13-inch cake
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 cups flour
Maple Syrup Frosting
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 2 eggs, whites only
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13-inch cake pan.
- Using a standing mixer, cream together the sugar and shortening. Add in eggs and vanilla and continue mixing until combined.
- In a separate bowl mix together the salt, baking powder and flour. Add the dry ingredients into the sugar/egg mixture alternating with the milk until the flour is completely incorporated.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- To make the frosting, beat two egg whites to stiff peaks and set aside. In a sauce pan, bring maple syrup to a boil. Add a pinch of salt (I like to use flaky sea salt). Add hot syrup in a slow steady stream to the beaten egg whites continuing to whisk the whites while adding.
- Frost cooled cake.
- This recipe is a Wildcard Contest Winner!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
More Great Recipes: Cakes
Why Our Vegan Cookbook is for Everyone
Whether you're a meat eater, tofu lover, or in-between
A vegan cookbook for everyone—really.
What to eat and listen to tonight.
We've got the summer blues.
Our latest #f52contest: back-pocket baking.
Have a ball (jar).