Author Notes: I was at a potluck at work and when someone offered me a piece of this Pumpkin Crunch Cake, I looked at it with hesitation and said I was not too sure I would take it since I am not too fond of pumpkins. But a bite of it made me change my mind. So buttery, so crunchy, so good!!!!! My co-worker shared the recipe with me, so here it is but with a few modifications by me. - Regine
Serves about 15
- 1 15-16 oz pumpkin Puree (or even mashed sweet potatoes if you so desire)
- 1 12 oz evaporated milk
- 1 cup sugar (or more to taste). Some recipes ask for as much as 11/2 Cup.
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp each pure vanilla, cinnamon, fresh grated ginger, and orange zest
- 1 box of Yellow Cake Mix
- 1 cup (2 sticks or 8 oz or 16 tbsp or 227 grams) of unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup Chopped walnuts or pecans
- Preheat oven at 350F. Spray one 9x13 baking pan. In a bowl, mix all ingredients, except cake mix, nuts and butter; and pour into baking pan. Sprinkle cake mix, then the nuts; and pour the melted butter all over. Bake at 350 for 60 to 70 minutes or until golden brown (may take less if using a Pyrex). Best to let cool completely before serving so that it firms up and cuts nicely. Serve, if desired, with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
- NOTE: My coworker's cake had the sides really crunchy, brown, and buttery, so if necessary, adjust the timing in oven accordingly.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Thanksgiving Pie