If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Limoncello always ends a meal perfectly, but I knew that a basil-variety would delight a die-hard basil fan, like me or everyone else in my family. This version is strong but adds just the right sort of strength to a scoop of delicate lemon sorbet. - eatboutique
Makes 2.5 cups
- 2.5 cups vodka
- 50 basil leaves (organic is preferable)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Pour vodka into a sealable, sterilized jar, and set aside. Use a jar with a seal that doesn't have metal in the lining. (If the only jar you have has a metal lining, then have a large piece of parchment paper handy to place between the jar and the seal.)
- Boil water in a pot over high heat. Set up an ice cold water bath - a bowl filled with ice and cold water - close to the stove.
- Clean basil leaves with a damp paper towel, paying attention to the underside of the leaves where dirt may hide.
- Blanch the basil leaves by placing leaves in the boiling water for 1 minute. Transfer leaves to the ice cold water bath for 1 minute. Drain leaves in a tight mesh strainer, gently squeezing to remove extra water.
- Place the leaves into the jar of vodka. Cover and let sit in a cool, dark place for 1 week, shaking every other day.
- After a week, the infusion should take on an olive green hue. Drain the vodka and discard the basil leaves.
- Make a quick simple syrup of the sugar and 1/2 cup of water -- boiling until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Add the simple syrup to the basil infused vodka. Your Basil-cello is ready to drink immediately but tastes better after a little more time in a cool, dark place and served ice cold.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
A Better Way to Prepare Asparagus
Plus a genius dressing.
A better way to prepare asparagus.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
Freshen up for spring.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Drink better coffee.