If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe, originally published in Southern Living Magazine, is to die for! Full of chocolatey goodness and topped with sweet, toasted pecans. This has been a family favorite for many years, and will continue to be for years to come. What can be better on a chilly fall holiday? —Stacy Blair
Serves 8 to 10
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup butter (melted)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup 100% unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup toasted chopped pecans
- Your favorite pie crust recipe, enough for one 9-inch crust
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Stir together sugar, butter, flour, cocoa, corn syrup, and vanilla extract in a large bowl. Add eggs and whip until everything is blending nicely. Add chopped pecans, mix, and pour into pie shell.
- Bake at 350°F for 35 -40 minutes. You may find that the filling seems uncooked, but I assure you it is! It thickens as it cools on a wire rack!
Salted Caramel Topping
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 2 cups toasted pecan halves
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Bring the sugar, lemon juice and water to boil in a saucepan. Be sure not to stir the mixture, just swirl the pot from time to time. Watch for the sugar to change colour to a nice brown. , for 8 minutes or until dark amber. Remove from heat and add cream and butter. Continuously stir the mixture until boiling stops and all ingredients are mixed. Stir in table salt.
- Arrange pecan halves on top of the chocolate filling. I layered them in a single layer in a concentric circle style. Top the pecans with the caramel mixture. Let the pie cool for 15-30 minutes before sprinkling the sea salt on top. The caramel mixture will thicken and keep the pecans in place. ENJOY
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Thanksgiving Pie
You Pinned, We Listened
This Month's Top 10 Pinterest Recipes
This month's most pinned recipes.
Food blog links we love.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
The best camping foods.
Savor the season.