If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I make a salad for lunch just about every Sunday. The reason: All those lovely bits and pieces of meat, fish, poultry, cheese, vegetables, pasta, grains, beans, and greens in my refrigerator left over from the previous 6 days. I call this my compost salad (for obvious reasons), but a more elegant appellation is salade compose (with the accent over the final e). I usually dress a savory salad with the vinaigrette I already posted on food52.com. —Leslie_
- 4 cups cooked cous cous
- 1 cup finely chopped red, yellow, green &/or orange bell peppers
- 1 cup chickpeas, drained
- 1 cup leftover grilled or roasted beef, lamb, chicken, fish (salmon and tuna are delicious) shredded, chopped, or minced
- 1 cup finely shredded/chopped salad greens, such as endive, radicchio, treviso, romaine, Boston bib, etc.
- 1 hard boiled egg, chopped
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- 4-5 radishes, chopped
- 2-3 anchovies, chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 fennel stalk, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2-3 scallions (green and white parts), minced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh herbs (chives, dill, parsley, cilantro, tarragon, or other herb to suit the mix)
- 2 tablespoons small olives (nicoise, picholine, etc.)
- 2 tablespoons OPTIONAL: sunflower seeds or toasted pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons OPTIONAL: crumbled goat or feta cheese (do not use if including fish as an ingredient)
- Place all the ingredients except the optional seeds/nuts in a large salad bowl, toss to incorporate all the elements, dress with vinaigrette, toss again (sprinkle with seeds/nuts if desired) and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Couscous Dish
Genius Recipes for a Genius Labor Day
Beans! Pimento cheese! pies!
Genius recipes for a genius Labor Day.
Ways to a money-saving kitchen.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
The Hudson Valley's where it's at.
Get your shine on.