If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I am really big fan of lemon curd, so one day I thought how would mango taste instead of lemon. So, I searched recipes with mango curd. I found one by Bon Appetite. I tried to make the curd and it came out really delicious. So, I decided to use it in a pie shell and topped it with meringue. I have used the mango curd for cake filling also and it has come out tasting really yummy. If you want to top the pie with meringue or not it still tastes really good. If you want to layer it with fresh mangoes instead meringue or sprinkle some nuts like pistachios for color contrast. Feel free to do what you like. For more flavoring in the mango curd feel free to add cardamom. Hope you like it. - PistachioDoughnut
Makes 1 single layered pie
- 1 - 9 inch uncooked pie crust
- 1 cup mango puree/pulp available at Indian grocery stores in a can 1 - 15 ounce, very ripe mango, peeled, pitted, and cubed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp Corn starch
- pinch of salt
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 cup sugar
- garnish of your choice
- If you are using fresh mango then, chop it and alongwith lime juice and salt make pulp out of it. If you are using mango puree then simply mix lime juice and salt into it.
- Add the cornstarch. Whisk in the egg yolks in the mango pulp mix and start cooking it on a double boiler and continuously keep whisking it. Cook it till it thickens up and reaches about 170 F. Remove it from the stove and whisk in the butter and mix it well. Let it come to warm temperature . Cover it with a plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator preferably for few hours or overnight.
- When we are ready to assemble it, preheat the oven at 350 F and roll out the pie crust and place it in the pie dish, poke it with fork and bake it for 25-30 minutes or till the crust looks golden brown in color. Remove it and let it cool a little bit and fill it with mango curd.
- Meringue - Take the egg whites in a bowl along with sugar and cook them on a double boiler for about 10 minutes till it reaches 150 F and then with the help of kitchen aid whisk the whites till they are double in the size and stiff.
- Top it on the mango curd. you can also make whipped cream instead of meringue and serve it with fruits. As, I said previously that you can also garnish it with nuts or roasted coconut shavings.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Thanksgiving Pie