Author Notes: This is the most deluxe dairy-free dessert/beverage topper ever. Its success hinges on the formation of solid cream at the top of the can after refrigeration. You can sweeten it as much as you like -- I find the coconut cream has a natural sweetness to it so I hold back a bit. - Laura Wright | The First Mess
Makes a generous cup
- 2 cans full fat coconut milk, chilled overnight
- 2 to 3 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- 3/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Remove the cans of coconut milk from the regrigerator right before you decide to make the cream. With a spoon, skim off the top layer of solid "cream" forming on the top of the can, ensuring that you catch as little of the water in the can as possible. Discard the leftover water or save it for another use. Place the cream into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment.
- Add the honey/maple syrup and vanilla to the bowl. Mix on medium-high speed, stopping and scraping down here and there. Mix the coconut cream until a slightly stiff, whipped cream-like consistency is achieved. This cream is best served immediately.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!