If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: It's a little ridiculous to call this a recipe, but you all should know this. The soft, sweet, and jam-like flesh of a ripened persimmon is perfect for freezing. - Mandy @ Lady and pups
Makes as many as you like
- Fully-ripened persimmons
- Coconut milk
- Perhaps the only thing to fuss over here is the type of persimmons to freeze. I wouldn't use the crunchy, hard, and apple-like persimmon commonly known as Fuyu, which is great for snacking because of its sweetness and low astringency that could taste bitter or leave an unpleasant mouthfeel afterwards. A more suitable variety is Hachiya, a heart-shaped persimmon that contains very high levels of tannins, which even after ripening can still present an unpalatable bitterness or mouthfeel. Then there’s the soft, mushy, and delicate Chinese persimmon that almost looks identical to Fuyu (it's flatter and apple-shaped). It also contains a certain level of tannin/astringent but less than Hachiya, so once ripened, it delivers a soft, sweet, and almost jam-like flesh with crunchy and chewy carpels.
- I wouldn’t freeze Fuyu, period. My number one choice would be a relatively low tannin/astringent persimmon such as the Chinese variety. But if unavailable, fully ripened Hachiya will do, too.
- Simply freeze the persimmons until they harden (or keep in the freezer until needed). Right out of the freezer when it’s still hard, rinse it under water for 10 seconds to soften the skin slightly, then peel the skin off with a peeler, like you're peeling an apple. You may need to hold the persimmon with a towel because it’s so cold. Then remove the stem with a small knife.
- Microwave the persimmons on low (defrost mode) for 1 to 2 minutes to soften slightly. Pour coconut milk on top and serve.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
12 Make-Ahead Egg Dishes for Easter Brunch
Hop to it!
Winner of Your Best Recipe with Honey
A sweet Q&A with Alexandra Higgins.
Style with a breeze.
Watch Amanda and Merrill Make Macaroni and Cheese Without a Recipe
Gouda riddance to powdered cheese.
Wooden Bird's House
For your feathered friends.