Author Notes: Choose small potatoes for this recipe. They will cook faster and make a very pretty hors d'oeuvre or side dish. The bright red flesh of the Cranberry Red potatoes is striking when accented with the green chives and white cream. - AliceWaters
- 16 to 20 small Cranberry Red potatoes
- 4 cups rock salt
- Crème fraîche
- Chopped chives
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Wash and dry the Cranberry Red potatoes well.
- Spread out the potatoes, leaving a half inch of space between them.
- Pour over enough rock salt to barely cover them -- you should be able to see the potatoes.
- Roast until tender, about 40 minutes.
- Remove from the salt or keep warm on top of salt until needed.
- When ready to serve, cut a cross into the top of each potato with a small sharp knife.
- Squeeze the potatoes to create and opening and fill with a small dollop of crème fraîche, a pinch of chopped chives, and a grind of freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve immediately.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!