Author Notes: Creamy potatoes with cheddar cheese baked until their outer skins are crisp and the tops are melted & golden. I have tried many recipes with a long list of ingredients for stuffed potatoes but keep coming back to my simple yet sumptuous version. It is now my family's most requested potato recipe. (Well, unless our meal is going to include gravy because then it's mashed potatoes for sure!) - TheSweetPeppercorn
- 4 large baking potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup buttermilk (or substitute sour cream or milk)
- 1 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt, such as Lawry's
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees with the rack in the center.
- Once you have scrubbed your potatoes & they are dry, place a small amount of oil on your hands and rub each potato very lightly to coat with the oil.
- Place the potatoes in the oven and bake for approx. 45-60 minutes. (This will vary based on the size of your potatoes)
- While the potatoes are baking, place the butter and buttermilk (or sour cream, milk or combination of both) in a large mixing bowl to come to room temperature.
- Remove the potatoes & cut them in half. Using a pot holder to handle, scoop the pulp into the mixing bowl. Try to work quickly while they are piping hot.
- Add 1 cup of the shredded cheese, garlic salt & seasoning salt and begin to mash with a potato masher or a sturdy large fork. Do not use a mixer - this will make the gluey.
- When all of the ingredients are thoroughly incorporated, taste test for seasonings. You can add more salt, cheese or buttermilk at his point if necessary but be careful not to over mix.
- Place the empty skins on a baking sheet and fill each level to the top, compacting if necessary. Sprinkle the tops with additional cheese and return to the oven to rewarm, approx. 10-15 minutes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Potatoes