If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: One of the most emblematic portuguese dishes and an excellent recipe for codfish leftovers. —Teresa Sousa
- 1/2 pound desalted salt cod
- 1/2 pound potatoes
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 cup Port wine
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 3 to 4 eggs
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- oil to deep fry
- The recipe mention desalted cod but if you don't have desalted cod available at your local market, you can make the recipe with Salt cod, just taking an extra step to desalt it first as mention below: (1) Wash the cod to remove the salt; (2) Place it in cold water (skin up), the fish must be completely covered, and keep it refrigerated for 24h to 48h. Change the water each 8 hour. The soaking period will depend on the cod cut.
- Boil the potatoes in water until tender
- Peel the boiled potatoes; use a fork or a food processor to mash the potatoes.
- Poach the cod in water for 5 minutes.
- Remove skin and bones from the boiled cod.
- Shred the cod with your hands, with a help of a kitchen cloth, or you can even use a kitchen pestle.
- Chop the onion.
- Chop the fresh parsley.
- In a bowl combine the mashed potatoes, cod, chopped onion, chopped parsley, Port wine. Season with salt, fresh ground black pepper and grated nutmeg.
- Add the eggs one at a time. The number of eggs will change accordingly with the quality of the potatoes.
- With the help of two soup spoons form the cakes, and deep-fry them in oil.
- Serve with a green salad and a beans rice.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Potatoes