If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I have mellowed the molasses a touch with corn syrup -- when I make this pie I go whole hog and use all sorghum molasses. It's your call. I also found I really liked the rice flour streusel because it is very tender but either flours work great here. —thirschfeld
Makes 8 to 12 pieces
- 1 9-inch pie crust, use your favorite
- 1 egg white mixed with 2 teaspoons of water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour or 1/2 cup each of brown and white rice flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- A two-finger pinch of kosher salt
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar (muscovado is great for this)
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg, beaten
- Heat the oven to 400? F.
- Roll your crust out and place it into the pie pan. Using a fork, dock your crust. Place a piece of parchment onto the crust and fill it with dry beans or pie weights or whatever you use. Place the pie pan onto a sheet tray and bake the crust for 10 minutes. Remove the weights and paper then bake another 5 to 10 minutes. Remove it from the oven and paint it with the egg wash (the egg white mixed with water). Reduce the oven temperature to 375? F.
- To make the streusel, combine the flour, butter, salt, and brown sugar. Use your hands and rub the ingredients through the palms of your hands until everything is combined.
- In another bowl, combine the molasses and corn syrup with the boiling water. Add the baking soda and, while whisking, add half the streusel and the beaten egg.
- Place the other half of the streusel into the bottom of the pre-baked crust then pour the molasses mixture over the top.
- Slide the sheet tray with the pie on it into a 375? F oven and bake it for ten minutes, then reduce the heat to 300? F and bake for another 35 minutes. At the end of the baking time give the sheet tray a gentle shake. Is the pie wavy or is it like Jell-O? If it's wavy, bake it another 5 minutes, otherwise remove it and cool it completely on a rack. Serve with whipped cream.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!