If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The perfect holiday cookie, with three types of ginger! - Passports & Pancakes
Makes 42 cookies
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 5 ounces unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 ounces molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 5 ounces candied ginger, finely chopped
- Demerara sugar, for coating
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, and dry spices.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat the brown sugar and butter until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the molasses, egg, and fresh ginger, and beat for an additional minute to combine.
- Stir in the candied ginger.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet, and stir to combine.
- Refrigerate the dough for at least 1 hour and up to overnight.
- When you are ready to bake the cookies, preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pour about 1/2 cup of the demerara sugar (or another raw cane sugar) onto a plate or shallow bowl.
- For each cookie, take 2 tablespoons of dough, roll it between your palms, and coat with sugar.
- Place each dough ball on the lined baking sheet, leaving a few inches between each one, as they will spread.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes (12 will give you a chewier cookie, 15 a crunchier one).
- Let cool on the baking sheet for 1 minute, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. These cookies will keep, covered, for 1 week.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
Shakerato, Not Stirred
It's espresso for the summer.
Espresso takes a chill.
Recipe of the Day
Treats for your beach bag.
Frozen dumplings the fearless way.
Raise a (recycled) glass.