Author Notes: Leftover mashed potatoes get a new lease on life -- and you get a morning-after Thanksgiving breakfast you'll actually want to cook. Adapted slightly from Greene on Greens (Workman Publishing Company, 1984). - Genius Recipes
- 12 whole scallions
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 cup cold leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Wash and trim the scallions, leaving about 2 inches of green stems. Cook in boiling water until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and chop finely.
- Place the scallions in a medium-sized bowl. Add the eggs, nutmeg, salt, pepper to taste, bread crumbs, and mashed potatoes. Mix well.
- Heat the oils in a large skillet until hot but not smoking. (Searing the cakes quickly helps them stay together.) Shape the onion-potato mixture into patties, using 2 rounded tablespoons of the mixture for each patty. Sauté, about six at a time, until golden brown on both sides, 2 or 3 minutes per side. Keep warm while sautéing the remaining patties.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!