If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Who said whipped cream had to be for dessert? For years I've been making a savory whipped cream seasoned with herbs, lemon zest and capers and serving it with smoked salmon and crackers. I got the idea from a restaurant I worked at in France 15 years ago.
So here is my top-secret (well, not really), impossible-to-screw-up (yes, really) recipe. Once you get acquainted with savory whipped cream, open your fridge and branch out -- right now, I'm really into a plain horseradish version that's terrific with roast beef (a recipe attributed to Mary Lincoln, the wife of Abraham Lincoln). You could also do:
hot smoked paprika (to go with brandade); or
creme fraiche, ginger and lime (to dollop on top of corn soup). —Amanda Hesser
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped tarragon
- 1/2 tablespoon thinly sliced chives
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Coarse or kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In an electric mixer fitted with a whisk, beat the heavy cream until it holds a stiff peak. Use a rubber spatula to fold in the remaining ingredients. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
Get Fired Up
A weekend cookout menu and playlist
Bring some flare to your cookout.
Small spaces don't have to feel small.
We've got the summer blues.
You haven't thai'd this before.
A better basket.