Author Notes: Who said whipped cream had to be for dessert? For years I've been making a savory whipped cream seasoned with herbs, lemon zest and capers and serving it with smoked salmon and crackers. I got the idea from a restaurant I worked at in France 15 years ago.
So here is my top-secret (well, not really), impossible-to-screw-up (yes, really) recipe. Once you get acquainted with savory whipped cream, open your fridge and branch out -- right now, I'm really into a plain horseradish version that's terrific with roast beef (a recipe attributed to Mary Lincoln, the wife of Abraham Lincoln). You could also do:
hot smoked paprika (to go with brandade); or
creme fraiche, ginger and lime (to dollop on top of corn soup). - amanda
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoon chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped tarragon
- 1/2 tablespoon thinly sliced chives
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Coarse or kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In an electric mixer fitted with a whisk, beat the heavy cream until it holds a stiff peak. Use a rubber spatula to fold in the remaining ingredients. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!