If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe has withstood the test of time and been enjoyed by generations. As a child I looked forward to Christmas Eve for all the wonderful Swedish foods, especially the herring. As far as I can tell, this came from Sweden with my great grandmother and was recorded by my grandmother. It keeps well but hardly lasts beyond Christmas. - Anne Covino
Makes approx 1 quart; depends upon the size of herring
- 3 large salt herring; 8 fillets
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup sugar (may need 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (red)
- 3 bay leaves
- 12 whole allspice
- dashes white pepper
- Soak the herring in cold water overnight.
- Split, skin and remove all bones Cut in strips crosswise Place in china or glass dish.
- Mix ingredients and pour over herring.
- Put into glass jars or covered dish for storage. Best made several days ahead and stored in refrigerator.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Family Recipe