Author Notes: This recipe has withstood the test of time and been enjoyed by generations. As a child I looked forward to Christmas Eve for all the wonderful Swedish foods, especially the herring. As far as I can tell, this came from Sweden with my great grandmother and was recorded by my grandmother. It keeps well but hardly lasts beyond Christmas. - Anne Covino
Makes approx 1 quart; depends upon the size of herring
- 3 large salt herring; 8 fillets
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup sugar (may need 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (red)
- 3 bay leaves
- 12 whole allspice
- dashes white pepper
- Soak the herring in cold water overnight.
- Split, skin and remove all bones Cut in strips crosswise Place in china or glass dish.
- Mix ingredients and pour over herring.
- Put into glass jars or covered dish for storage. Best made several days ahead and stored in refrigerator.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Family Recipe