If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is as basic a punch recipe as you can get, and its basic ratio can be applied to any number of variations. It has nothing more than those 5 original ingredients, and requires no special technique other than mixing them together. The art comes in your choice of what to include. —Erik Lombardo
Serves many (but double for a large group)
- 2 cups rum
- 2 cups strong black tea
- 1/2 cup demerara sugar
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- Spices of your choice (see below)
- For spice, I like to use 2 cinnamon sticks, 8 black peppercorns, 1 star anise, 8 cloves, 4 cardamom pods, and 2 allspice berries.
- Brew your tea with your spices, let steep, and strain. Add the sugar in while the water is still hot, and stir to dissolve. Once it has cooled, mix the remaining ingredients together, adding the spirit last. If you like, you can grate spices over each glass at your party. (I like to leave a grater and spice right by the punch bowl/pitcher so that each guest can add however much or little as she likes.)
- This basic ratio can be applied to any number of punch variations: try a floral gin punch with meyer lemon and verbena tea in the springtime, or bourbon with bitter orange and mint when Seville oranges are in season. Change up the spices, spirits, tea and even the sugar source (honey or agave anyone?) to suit the season and your tastes.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
More Great Recipes: Boozy Drinks