Author Notes: I was given this recipe several years ago by a friend's grandmother. I make this pie for every family gathering, and it is always a big hit. - Jason
Food52 Review: This recipe is an easy, delicious combination of chocolate, peanut butter, and bananas, topped with homemade whipped cream and mini chocolate chips. I followed the exact ingredients and directions without any issues. The pudding is great -- thick, very tasty, and dense. The pie holds together well and it looks appealing when served. The banana flavor is just right. I can see how this recipe would be a family favorite. I've added the recipe to my personal "Best of the Best" recipe file. Indulge yourself today and make this pie! - Hippy in the Kitchen
Serves 6 to 12
Graham Cracker Crust
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 bananas (preferably slightly green)
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a small saucepan or microwave, melt the butter.
- In a medium bowl, combine graham crackers, sugar, and butter, mixing until combined.
- Press into a 9-inch pie pan. Spread the crumb mixture evenly on the bottom and sides.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until golden brown.
- Cool completely, then slice the bananas in penny rounds and spread evenly on the bottom of the crust.
Chocolate and Peanut Butter Pudding
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 10 ounces fine milk chocolate, chopped evenly in small pieces (you can also use mini chocolate chips)
- In a saucepan, whisk together cornstarch, sugar, eggs, milk, butter, and vanilla. Cook over medium heat until the mixture boils, then whisk constantly for an additional two minutes, until pudding becomes thick.
- Add chocolate and peanut butter, then stir until everything is melted and thoroughly combined.
- Pour into pie shell, making sure to cover all the banana slices.
- Refrigerate until set, about 4 hours.
- Before serving, cover the pie with homemade whipped cream, and decorate with chocolate curls or mini chocolate chips.