Author Notes: This is a combination of a warming Polish Hunter's Stew mixed with a classic, English Cottage Pie. I think it takes the best from both classics, hopefully like me!
I used leftover beef so the measurements are approximate. - Leith Devine
- 1 1/2-2 pound leftover beef, cut in chunks
- 2 Onions, sliced
- 2 cups Sauteed mushooms in cream and thyme, leftover
- 1 cup Fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups Brown gravy, leftover, or make some from gravy mix
- 1 Beef Bullion,can
- 2 cups Fresh carrots
- 1/2 package frozen corn
- 1/2 package frozen peas
- 4 cups Loaded mashed potatoes, leftover
- 1 pound Polish sausage, optional
- as needed flour/butter knobs
- I made this in a crockpot. It could be easily made in heavy stove and oven safe pot as well.
- Cut up beef and add to crockpot Thickly slice onions, and add with gravy, (or 2 gravy packets) bullion, carrots and corn.
- Add polish sausage (kielbasa) if desired.
- Cook until beef starts to shred, approximately 4-5 hours. Check for thickness. If gravy is too liquid, mix together 1TB each of flour and butter until incorporated and add to mixture. Add "knobs" until gravy thickens.
- Add peas and cook for another 30-40 minutes.
- Remove mixture from crockpot and place into a deep casserole. Spread mashed potatoes over mixture.
- Brush with butter if desired, and bake or broil until tops of mashed potatoes are brown and crunchy.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Family Recipe