If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: When I say "we're having roast chicken for dinner" this is the recipe I mean. I don't know where it came from, or how I got it, I just know I've been making it for years and it's now a very stained shred of paper. If you recognize it, let me know! It's easy and uses my fave technique of putting the spices underneath the skin, so the meat is flavorful even if you don't like chicken skin. I think cooking the chicken on top of the sliced onions is the real trick to this recipe. - Tashipluto
Serves 4 +
- 1 Whole chicken (3.5-4 lbs)
- I Large onion
- 3/4 teaspoons Salt
- 3/4 teaspoons Pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Paprika ( I use a mix of hot and smoked)
- 4 teaspoons Olive oil
- 1 1/2-2 pound Small roasting potatoes
- Cut the onion into 1/2 inch rings and lay in the bottom of a roasting pan.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees
- Rinse chicken and pat dry. I sometimes butterfly the chicken at this point if I want it to cook faster. Sprinkle the inside cavity with 1/4 tsp of salt and 1/4 tsp of pepper.
- Mix the remaining salt and pepper with paprika in a small bowl. Loosen the skin of the breast with your fingers. Rub chicken breast under the skin with a tsp of olive oil and most of the spice mixture.
- Place chicken on top of the onion in the roasting pan. Rub outside of chicken with 2 tsp of olive oil and remaining spice mixture.
- Roast chicken for 30 minutes. Meanwhile cut your potatoes in half or quarters depending on size. You want about 1 1/2-2 inch pieces.
- After 30 minutes, baste with remaining olive oil, reduce heat to 350 and toss the potatoes into the roasting pan. Continue to cook for another hour or more, basting every 15 minutes with pan juices and stirring the potatoes, until juices run clear or a thermometer reads 175, and potatoes are soft.
- Let rest for 5-15 minutes depending how hungry you are for dinner!
- Serve with a salad and crusty bread to soak up the yummy onion gravy!
- Remove potatoes and serve in a separate bowl with onion gravy from the roasting pan
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chicken