If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A personal twist on smashed potatoes using classic ingredients from Spain to create a delicious appetizer, snack or side dish item. Simple and really good. - cucina di mammina
Makes about 10-12 potatoes
- 1-1 1/2 pounds small or fingerling potatoes (varietal mix of colors); unpeeled and washed
- olive oil (spanish preferred)
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh italian flat leaf parsley
- fresh cilantro (if desired)
- manchego cheese (grated in large flakes)
- pimentón de la vera (from Spain)
- creme fraiche or sour cream (if desired)
- This recipe uses a legendary sweet paprika sourced from an area in Spain called La Vera. Pimentón de la Vera and I fell instantly in love; it is made from peppers grown, dried and ground into this stunning bright red sweet and smoky spice that I add to pretty much everything I cook or eat.
- In a large stockpot add the scrubbed, unpeeled potatoes to boiling water and cook until fork tender. Drain carefully and set aside to cool.
- Using two sheets of wax paper cut to size, place a potato between the sheets and using the heel of your hand carefully smash the potato until flattened (about a 1/4? or more thick.)
- Set on a large baking sheet and continue to smash all the potatoes until done.
- Season both sides with salt and pepper to taste; sprinkle the pimenton de la vera on both sides to taste.
- Drizzle liberally with olive oil and place in a preheated 450 degree oven to roast for about 15-20 minutes until the potatoes begin to brown and the edges are very crispy.
- Remove from the oven and quickly add a healthy sprinkle of the grated manchego cheese and lots of fresh chopped parsley (and cilantro if you like.)
- The manchego cheese will melt a bit, then you can plate them and serve immediately with extra cheese on the table if desired.
- Note: Feel free to top these with a fresh dollop of creme fraiche or sour cream and top with more parsley, cilantro or chopped chives/scallion greens
Dumplings, No Recipe Required
Dumplings for one, dumplings for all.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Gluten-Free Strawberry Tart
Eclectic Truffle Chocolate Bars
Cuban-inspired recipes to cook now.