Author Notes: This soup has all of the flavors of decadent Chicken Parmesan, but in a more waist-friendly vehicle. Chicken broth and crushed tomatoes are simmered with garlic, onion, basil, oregano and red pepper flakes for an aromatic base. Shredded lean chicken breast, green bell pepper and gemelli pasta fill you up. And everything is topped with a little cheese, of course. - foxeslovelemons
Makes 6 cups
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 14.5 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, plus extra for garnish
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more if you like it spicy!)
- 4 ounces uncooked dry gemelli or penne pasta
- Chopped fresh basil or parsley, for garnish
- In slow cooker, stir together garlic, bell pepper, crushed tomatoes, chicken, broth, onion, 1/3 cup cheese, basil, oregano and red pepper flakes. Cook on high 3-1/2 hours or on low 7 hours.
- Transfer chicken breasts to cutting board and coarsely shred; return to slow cooker. Stir in pasta. Cook on high 30 minutes longer or until pasta is cooked al dente.
- Serve garnished with extra Parmesan cheese and chopped basil or parsley.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chicken