If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Traditional Persian Chicken is made with pomegranate seeds, aromatic spices and ground walnuts. This version uses slivered almonds in place of the walnuts and boosts the flavor with the addition of pomegranate syrup, both traditional ingredients in foods eaten during the Jewish holiday Tu B'Shevat, New Year of the Trees. —ohyoucook
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium-sized onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic (about 2 cloves)
- 1 whole chicken, cut into eighths
- 1 cup seeds from 1 medium pomegranate (about 1 cup), divided
- 1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds, divided
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add oil, wait 10 seconds then add onions. Saute for 5 minutes or until onions soften.
- Add cinnamon, cardamom, salt, black pepper and garlic; saute for 30 seconds. Push onions to the sides, then add chicken pieces in a single layer. Brown chicken for 4 minutes each side (chicken will not be cooked through).
- Add 1/2 cup of the pomegranate seeds along with 1/4 cup of the chopped almonds around the chicken. Stir pomegranate molasses and honey into the cup of water, then pour over chicken.
- Bring to a simmer (which should happen quickly). Reduce heat, cover and continue to simmer until chicken is cooked through (juices run clear when pierced with the tip of a knife).
- Remove from heat; stir lemon juice into sauce. Taste and add additional salt and pepper, if needed. Plate chicken over rice. Spoon a little sauce over each serving. Garnish with remaining pomegranate seeds and toasted almonds just before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chicken
This May Be the Best Thing You Can Do with Zucchini
A genius make-ahead summer side
A genius zucchini dish.
Is your cilantro contaminated?
It's time to travel.
Do this for better cold brew.