If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Eating home alone is a chance to indulge your strangest cravings and weirdest eating habits -- the Sex and the City "single food" of grape jelly and saltines springs to mind. For me, eating alone is slightly indulgent but a little lonely -- this neon colored oozy cheese sandwich (a variation of pimento cheese) provides the right mix of weirdness and comfort. Plus, there's leftover cheese spread if somebody comes home and says, "You didn't make ME dinner?" - Savour
Food52 Review: These electric orange sandwiches elevate the traditional grilled cheese by way of a new take on an old Southern favorite: pimento cheese. Savour calls for sharp cheddar to counterbalance the sweetness of the roasted peppers and the punch of raw garlic. She also has you grill both sides of the bread, which keeps it crisp rather than soggy. Combined with a glass of dry white wine and a green salad, this is real home alone comfort food. - A&M - The Editors
Serves 1 (plus extra cheese)
For Pepper Cheese Spread
- 12 ounces extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 ounces roasted piquillo peppers
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup good prepared mayonnaise (Hellman's or homemade)
For the sandwich
- 2 slices good sandwich bread (my favorite is variations on French country bread like Pain Poilane)
- 1 tablespoon butter (give or take)
- Break the cheese into large chunks and put it in the bowl of your food processor. Pulse until mixture resembles coarse gravel.
- Add peppers and garlic to food processor. Process until mixture is finely chopped.
- Add mayonnaise, and process until the mixture is smooth. Put into a container for refrigerator storage.
- Lightly butter both sides of the bread and preheat a cast iron skillet.
- Place two slices of bread in the skillet and heat until lightly toasted. Turn over bread.
- Spread about 1/3 c. cheese mixture onto one of the toasted bread surfaces. Place other slice of bread onto the cheese, toasted side facing cheese.
- Cook sandwich, turning, until exterior is toasted and cheese is melty.
- Your Best Home Alone Dinner Contest Finalist!