If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I am a very big fan of texture in my cornbread, so I almost always opt for using coarsely ground cornmeal over the finer stuff. These waffles are no exception, and the coarse cornmeal gives them a wonderfully crisp texture. If this isn't your cup of tea, substitute a finer cornmeal instead. —Carey Nershi
Makes 4 waffles
- 3/4 cup coarse cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup grated smoked cheddar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons sriracha
- Preheat waffle iron. Combine cornmeal, flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cheddar in a large bowl.
- Beat together egg, buttermilk, honey, and melted butter. Pour into the dry ingredients and stir until just barely combined. (If there are still a couple dry lumps, it's ok.) Let sit for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, the batter should have thickened to a spoonable consistency. Brush both sides of your waffle iron with butter and add three large, heaping spoonfuls (approximately 1/3 cup each) to the center of your iron. Close and cook until nicely browned.
- Combine maple syrup and sriracha. Top waffles with a fried egg and sriracha-maple syrup.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
No Laffy Matter
How to make peanut butter salt water taffy
How to make salt water taffy.
No-bake desserts are cool.
Free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
The freedom to snack.
We're obsessed: wooden everything.