Author Notes: This yummy frosty treat is like a combination of a milkshake and a smoothie. It is from Louisa Shafia's book The New Persian Kitchen and is based on a drink called majoon. Though you don't need to use all of the nuts she lists, use at least some! They add a fabulous crunch to the drink. - fiveandspice
Serves 2 to 4
- 1 banana, peeled and frozen
- 8 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 2 cups ice cubes
- 3/4 to 1 cups water
- 1 tablespoon each: toasted coconut flakes, toasted chopped almonds, toasted chopped walnuts, toasted chopped pistachios, and toasted sesame seeds
- Cut the banana into 1-inch-thick slices and place them in a blender. Add the dates, yogurt, vanilla, cinnamon, salt, ice cubes, and 3/4 cup water and blend until smooth. Add an additional 1/4 cup water if the shake is too thick.
- Pour the shake into glasses and top with rows of the coconut flakes, almonds, walnuts, pistachios, and sesame seeds, and serve.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!