If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The vegan answer to scrambled eggs, this easy dish is sure to become one of your meatless favorites. —Gena Hamshaw
Tofu Breakfast Scramble
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups diced vegetables (I like zucchini and red peppers when they're in season, but use whatever you have on hand)
- One 14- to 16-ounce block of extra-firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium tamari
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- Black pepper to taste
- Heat a large skillet or wok over medium heat. Add the oil and sauté the onion until it’s soft and cooked through, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for two minutes. Add your vegetables of choice, and cook till they’re tender.
- While the vegetables cook, crumble the tofu with your hands, so that there are still some visible pieces, but it's broken up quite thoroughly. Whisk together the tahini, tamari, mustard, and turmeric.
- Add the tofu to the skillet, along with the tahini mixture. Mix the ingredients together thoroughly and cook till the tofu is warmed through, about 4 minutes or so. Add the nutritional yeast and mix it in well. Finally, add the spinach and cook until it’s just wilted. Divide the scramble onto four plates and top each with parsley.
Tofu Breakfast Burrito with Tempeh Bacon
- 1/4 cup low-sodium tamari
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- One 8-ounce package of tempeh, sliced thinly into strips
- 4 whole grain wraps
- Hot sauce or salsa (optional)
- Avocado slices (optional)
- Whisk together all ingredients except for the tempeh and wraps to make your marinade. Pour the marinade into a shallow dish and add the tempeh to it. Allow the tempeh to marinate for several hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375° F. Arrange the tempeh on a baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes, flipping halfway through, or until the tempeh is getting crispy and brown.
- Divide the tofu scramble into the four wraps. Add a quarter of the tempeh bacon, wrap, top with hot sauce, salsa, or avocado, and serve.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
Shop at the Food52 Office
We're having a open house!
Shop at the Food52 office.
Trailblazing snacks to pack.
New to the Shop.
(Home) brew on this.
Get whisked away.