If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: We've been regulars at Torchy's Tacos, the food truck turned restaurant that has put down roots in every corner of Austin, since it first opened. But only recently did we learn about their secret menu, and good Lord is it amazing! This taco combines some of my favorite elements from the secret tacos- most notably a huge upgrade from the scrambled egg to a runny-yolked fried one (such a classy taco!), and my favorite thing ever- a double tortilla wrapper, in which a corn tortilla is shallow fried until it is just starting to get crispy and then wrapped in a toasted flour tortilla. The corn tortilla offers great crunch, and the flour tortilla keeps your hands from getting greasy. Black beans and fried eggs go beautifully together and both are made all the more enjoyable with a pile of fresh cilantro, a squeeze of lime, some sharp cheddar, and a bit of pickled jalapeno. This taco has everything going for it and comes together remarkably quickly too. - arielleclementine
Makes 2 tacos
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 corn tortillas
- 2 flour tortillas
- 1 cup canned black beans
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 handful of cilantro
- 1/2 lime
- pickled jalapenos
- kosher salt and black pepper
- Get out two skillets. Heat both over medium heat. Put a flour tortilla in one and toast it a bit on both sides until it has puffed up. Repeat with the second flour tortilla. Meanwhile, put the 2 tablespoons of oil in the other skillet and, when the oil is hot and shimmery, put a corn tortilla in and shallow-fry it on both sides, until it has crisped up a bit but is still malleable, about 30 seconds per side. Repeat with the second corn tortilla. Put one flour tortilla on each of two plates and top each with the fried corn tortilla. (Yes, each taco will have two tortillas!)
- When the tortillas are done, put the black beans and a splash of their cooking liquid into the dry pan where you toasted the flour tortillas and heat them gently and season to taste. Melt the tablespoon of butter in the pan where you fried the corn tortillas (leaving the remaining oil in the pan) and crack in two eggs. Cover this pan with a lid and cook until the whites are set and the yolks are still runny, about 2-4 minutes (check them often!). You might need to spoon some of the fat in the pan over the top of the whites to finish them off.
- Assemble the tacos by spooning some of the black beans onto the tortillas and top with a sprinkling of cheddar. Put the fried egg on next and season with salt and pepper. Put a good handful of cilantro on next and squeeze some lime juice over it, and then add 3-4 pickled jalapeno slices. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Weekday Breakfast Recipe
Too Many Cooks: Who Has Changed the Way You Cook?
Let's talk game changers and influencers.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Simple, Springy Leek Soup
A well-rounded bud vase.
The Best Cinnamon Rolls