If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: One of my favorite treats growing up was soft boiled eggs and toast soldiers. Eggs and toast hardly need an introduction, but the addition of miso butter is an easy way to make a quick weekday breakfast special. The salty umami punch of miso butter, crunchy toast, and soft yolks make your mornings seem just that much more calm. - stephanie le
Food52 Review: As a lover of soft eggs, of buttery toast, and of miso butter, this was a total "why have I never thought of that?!" recipe. It's brilliant in its simplicity -- an easy tweak takes eggs and toast over the top. The eggs came out perfectly cooked and the miso is almost cheesy in the way that it adds salty umami flavor. I'll be making this one regularly. - fiveandspice
- 1 tablespoon white miso paste, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 2 room temperature eggs
- 2 slices bread of choice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix together the softened white miso and butter. Taste and adjust, adding more miso if needed. Miso pastes tend to vary in saltiness. I like a 1:1 ratio of miso to butter, but start with a 1:2 ratio and adjust accordingly.
- Fill a pot with 3 inches of water and bring it up to to a boil, then reduce the heat until the water is barely simmering. Using a slotted spoon, gently add your eggs and set a timer for 6 minutes.
- While the eggs are cooking, toast your bread. Try to time it so that your toast pops up just before your eggs are done. Spread with the miso butter mixture and cut into strips.
- When the 6 minutes are up, use the slotted spoon to remove the eggs and run them under cold tap water for about a minute. Put the eggs into egg cups, lop the tops off, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and enjoy immediately with the toast soldiers.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Weekday Breakfast Recipe
Freeze It Right There
A fruity, frozen spin on a classic.
A bananas frozen daiquiri.
Community Picks: Lettuce-Free Salad
All you need for Memorial Day.
Cast your vote!
Grind it real good.