If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: When I don't feel like whipping up a "real" guacamole -- mincing, mashing, etc. -- I just throw a little house-cured lemon into mashed avocado and call it breakfast (or lunch, or home-alone supper). - creamtea
Food52 Review: What's not to like about a fried egg and avocado toast? Together, they make a pretty rich combo. Perhaps more suited to a leisurely weekend breakfast for two, this is an indulgence that should be given time to enjoy (and digest). I had to rely on store-bought preserved lemons, so a little mincing was required of their tougher skins, but they did all the work when it came to seasoning the "guacamole." Their brine added salt, while the lemon took care of the acid -- a nifty trick I will no doubt use in the future. A topping of Aleppo pepper continued the "Moroccan" theme. Bonus points for the fast and easy guacamole preparation. - Allison Bruns Buford
Serves 1 to 2
- 1 ripe avocado, halved and pitted
- 1/8 to 1/4 preserved lemon (including pulp) plus a little curing liquid, if desired
- 2 thick slices whole-grain bread
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 eggs
- Pinch salt
- Aleppo pepper or good-quality harissa as an accompaniment, if desired
- Make "guacamole:" Squeeze or scoop avocado flesh into a bowl. Mash lightly. Finely mince the cured lemon and add it to the avocado. Taste for seasoning; add a drizzle of curing liquid, if desired, plus a sprinkle of salt.
- Toast your bread the way you like it. While the bread is toasting, warm the olive oil over a low flame in a non-stick pan. When it sizzles, break in two eggs and fry them to your desired donenesss
- Spread avocado mixture on the bread, then top with eggs. Sprinkle yolks with Aleppo pepper or drizzle with harissa.
- Breakfast is served!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Green Stuff
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Sandwich Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Weekday Breakfast Recipe
It's Time to Rhyme
The staff at Food52 give us their best haikus.
Do you haiku?
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
Shop Spring Cleaning
Bake yourself breakfast.