If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Crunchy nutty toasted quinoa and gingered maple syrup, mixed with fresh fruit and tangy yogurt, makes a super healthy and happy breakfast. Use your favorite yogurt, fruit and nuts! —Lisa Goldfinger
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed in a fine mesh strainer, drained
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon peeled, grated ginger root (from a 1-inch piece)
- 1 1/2 cups mixed berries or your favorite fruits, washed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups plain yogurt (your favorite)
- Make the syrup: In a small saucepan bring maple syrup and ginger to a boil. Remove from heat and stir. Set aside to cool.
- Make the topping: Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add quinoa (don't worry if it's damp. The water will evaporate) and cook, stirring and tossing with a spatula, for a minute or so. Add nuts and coconut. Cook, stirring frequently, for 7-8 minutes more until quinoa is a making frequent popping sounds and becomes toasted and golden brown. Sprinkle with salt and mix. Spread toasted quinoa mixture out on a plate to cool.
- Assemble the Parfaits: When the syrup & toasted quinoa have cooled, about 15 minutes, assemble the parfaits: Using two bowls or parfait glasses, make alternate layers of quinoa, yogurt, fruit, syrup. Repeat. Top with a light sprinkling of quinoa. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Weekday Breakfast Recipe
Give Peas a Chance
Pea guacamole and other offensive foods
Warning: You might be offended.
Burnt Toast: Episode 9
Savor the season.
Bagel and lox, in a salad.
A board to go nuts over.