Author Notes: Crunchy nutty toasted quinoa and gingered maple syrup, mixed with fresh fruit and tangy yogurt, makes a super healthy and happy breakfast. Use your favorite yogurt, fruit and nuts! - Lisa Goldfinger
- 3/4 cups uncooked quinoa, rinsed in a fine mesh strainer, drained
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon peeled, grated ginger root (from a 1-inch piece)
- 1 1/2 cup mixed berries or your favorite fruits, washed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups plain yogurt (your favorite)
- Make the syrup: In a small saucepan bring maple syrup and ginger to a boil. Remove from heat and stir. Set aside to cool.
- Make the topping: Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add quinoa (don't worry if it's damp. The water will evaporate) and cook, stirring and tossing with a spatula, for a minute or so. Add nuts and coconut. Cook, stirring frequently, for 7-8 minutes more until quinoa is a making frequent popping sounds and becomes toasted and golden brown. Sprinkle with salt and mix. Spread toasted quinoa mixture out on a plate to cool.
- Assemble the Parfaits: When the syrup & toasted quinoa have cooled, about 15 minutes, assemble the parfaits: Using two bowls or parfait glasses, make alternate layers of quinoa, yogurt, fruit, syrup. Repeat. Top with a light sprinkling of quinoa. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Weekday Breakfast Recipe