If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Cake for breakfast. Could there be anything better? I am one of those people that could eat a sweet treat any time of the day. I know that some people can’t entertain the thought of having something like cake for breakfast, but I am hoping that this recipe will urge a change of heart. I know what you must be thinking, the word cake makes probably makes you think of something incredibly sweet; excessive frosting, and lots of sugar. But I assure you this is a different kind of cake. Rather this cake is hearty and breakfast appropriate, filled with greek yogurt to keep it moist, fresh baked apples to keep it sweet, and instead of frosting, it is accompanied by a lemon zested whipped cream. This cake is the perfect companion for a leisurely breakfast in which you could sit down, and enjoy it as if you had no where to go. - The-Broken-Bread
Makes 1 10.25x 2" skillet
- 1 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 1/2 Salt
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup Grapeseed oil
- 1/2 cup Evaporated Cane Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Diced Granny Smith Apple
- 1/2 tablespoon Evaporated Cane Sugar
- 1-2 pinches Cinnamon
- 3/4 cup Greek Yogurt
- Pre-heat oven to 350F
- Combine all flour, baking powder, baking soda, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, cloves, salt, and 1/2 cup of sugar, in a medium bowl and set aside. Reserving the extra 1/2 tablespoon of sugar and pinch of cinnamon until the end.
- Whisk together yogurt, egg, yolk, oil, and vanilla until smooth.
- Pour in the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until fully combined.
- Pour mixture into cast iron skillet and be sure to spread the mixture evenly in the skillet, the batter will be quite thick.
- Sprinkle diced apples over the cake and push them in to the batter just a bit.
- Sprinkle the top of the cake with the extra 1/2 tablespoon of sugar and pinch of cinnamon.
- Bake at 350F for about 28-33 minuets. Test for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cake, the cake will be down when the tester pulls out clean.
- Serve warm, topped with a dollop of lemon zested whipped cream.
Lemon Zest Whipped Cream
- 1/2 pint Heavy Cream
- 2 teaspoons Evaporated Cane Sugar
- Zest Of one Lemon
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and whip, by hand, or in a mixer, until stiff peaks form.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Weekday Breakfast Recipe
How to Judge a Person by Their Ice Cream Choice
Are you a King Cone or a Klondike Bar?
Choose your ice cream wisely.
Brown butter Nutella skillet cookie.
Fire up the grill.
Festive Felt Barbecue Banners
Portable picnic snacks.