Author Notes: This recipe has all the rich, creamy texture of ice cream with none of the dairy or sugar. The crunchy topping is a snap to put together and is so, so good.
~ Adapted from self.com .. Who originally adapted the recipe from It's All Good: Delicious, Easy Recipes That will Make You Look Good & Feel Great by Gwyneth Paltrow and Julia Turshen - VeggiesByCandlelight
- 4 ripe bananas, frozen
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste (** or vanilla extract)
- (** optional add-ins: coconut, peanut butter, 1 scoop protein powder .. flavor of your choice)
Roasted Almond Topping
- 1/4 cup almonds, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil (** or olive oil)
- Place bananas in the freezer for at least 3 hours. When you're ready to make the ice cream .. cut them into smaller pieces for easier blending
- In the meantime roast the almonds. In a small saucepan heat the oil over medium low for a minute or two. Add the chopped almonds & roast them for couple of minutes until they're starting to turn brown & are fragrant.
- In a bowl, combine the roasted almonds with 2 tsp syrup and salt.
- In a food processor, pulse frozen banana slices, almond milk, vanilla and remaining 2 tbsp syrup, scraping down the sides as necessary, until mixture is the texture of soft-serve ice cream.
- Spoon into bowls .. sprinkle with almond mixture