If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My father taught me this sandwich when i was in fifth grade and it was so good I continued to make it throughout my youth and to this day, often make it for a quick Saturday lunch. Now I often include my son James, who loves it too. One of the pleasures of this preparation is that it turns what would otherwise be a mistake -- a broken yolk -- into an advantage. It also results in its own unique flavor, completely different from both scrambled eggs and a fried egg. I always serve it on soft white bread with a generous smear of Hellmann's mayo. Use a non-stick pan for this if you have one -- it makes the egg easier to flip. —Michael Ruhlman
Serves 1 hurried father, mother, or fifth grader
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 eggs, cracked into a bowl, yolks poked once to break them
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 pieces soft sandwich bread
- Put a pan (preferably nonstick) over medium-low heat and allow it to get hot, about 5 minutes. Add the butter and allow it to melt completely. As the water cooks out of it, it will froth. When the frothing seems to be at its peak, pour in the eggs and give the pan an immediate shake to prevent the eggs from sticking. Season the eggs with salt and pepper and cook for 1 minute. Flip the eggs and cook until the white is just set, about 1 minute more.
- Meanwhile, spread as much or as little mayonnaise on the sandwich bread as you wish. When the eggs are done, pour them out onto the bread, folding them over so that the eggs don't fop over the edges of the bread. Cover the eggs with the other piece of bread and eat with a glass of milk. I usually eat there next to the stove; I don't even use a plate.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
Make 3-ingredient frozen yogurt at home
Never buy frozen yogurt again.
Did you say vacation or cocktail?
Know (and shop) the basics.
The invincible beer can chicken.
The chicest apron around.