Author Notes: I feel so fortunate to live so close to all different sorts of local oysters - raw, fresh and salty, like the ocean from which they rose. This is my go-to mignonette when serving raw oysters. It's quite zippy, a tad sweet and full of herbal cilantro bits. My family loves this sauce so, that at the holidays, we sometimes whisk several tablespoons with olive oil to serve on big chopped salads that keep us refreshed during the day leading up to our hearty, heavy dinners. - eatboutique
- 1 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 (1-inch) piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- 1/2 English cucumber, peeled, seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, finely chopped
- freshly ground black pepper, several turns, to taste
- 12 local oysters
- Gently stir all the ingredients (except the oysters) in a bowl at least 2 hours prior to serving but up to 1 day before. Chill the mixture until just before serving.
- Shuck the oysters just before serving and present on a deep plate of crushed ice. Serve the mignonette alongside, with a small serving spoon. Spoon a little of the zippy sauce into each oyster just before slurping each down.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Way to Prepare Oysters