If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: As a lover of Tex-Mex, Mexican,and Southwestern cuisine, I decided to take the traditional Italian baked lasagna recipe and "kick it up a notch." Garnering up some of my favorite ingredients for producing a southwestern dish and adapting them to an Italian lasagna resulted in this Southwestern Lasagna, which leaves family and friends begging for more. —maggie531
- 1 pound Chorizo sausage
- 1/2 pound Italian sweet sausage or ground beef
- 32 ounces crushed tomatoes with juice
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 Sweet onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 32 ounces Ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 pound Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup medium hot green chilies
- 1 pound oven-ready lasagna noodles
- Dice the chorizo sausage and skin the sweet sausages, brown, drain and set aside.Pre-heat oven to 350.
- Add tomatoes, cumin, onion, peppers and garlic to a large saucepan. Simmer until the onion and peppers are soft (about 30 minutes). Set aside.
- Lightly whisk the eggs and stir in the ricotta to blend into a thick sauce. Set aside
- Place 1/3 tomato sauce in large pyrex baking dish. Top with a layer of pasta. Top with the sausage and green chilies, 1/3 more sauce and 1/2 Monterey Jack. Top with another layer of pasta. Top with remaining sauce and cheese.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes or until top is nicely browned. Serve with a mixed green salad.