If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A week of dark skies and heavy rains in San Diego sparked an urgent desire in me to bake scones. With a high butter content and ripe mashed bananas, these scones have a moist yet flaky texture. The flavor is sweet yet bold like a chocolate biscotti dunked in a caffe macchiato. I'm starting to like the rain. - Food Blogga
Makes 6 large or 8 small scones
- 1/3 cup heavy cream of half 'n half
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon espresso powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/4 sticks (10 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cold and cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup very ripe mashed bananas
- 2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- egg wash: 1 egg, lightly beaten OR 1 egg mixed with 1 teaspoon milk, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place oven racks in top and bottom thirds of the oven. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk cream and egg; set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, espresso powder, and cinnamon. Add chilled butter, and mix with a pastry blender or fork until a coarse meal forms with tiny pea-sized butter pieces. Mix in bananas and chocolate chips. Add the cream mixture to the flour mixture and, using a spoon, mix until just combined. Do not over mix, or the dough will become leaden.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and shape into a disk, about 1/2-inch thick. With a wet knife (to make slicing easier) cut the dough into 6 large triangles (or 8 smaller ones). Place scones on parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Brush egg wash over the tops of the scones. Bake scones for 20-22 minutes, rotating pans mid-way through. Bake until puffed and golden; transfer to a rack to cool.
11 Ways to Become a Little More French
Live la vie en rose.
Live la vie en rose.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
A feast for the ears.
Take these foods to go.