If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a one pot recipe - my favorite type - meat, vegetables and starch all in one. Serve it with rice or egg noodles if you like, but it's not really necessary. It's a simplified osso buco made with beef rather than veal. The recipe can easily be scaled up to serve more people. - Ann Goldman
- 3-4 pounds beef shanks (or beef cheeks work as well)
- 2 onions, peeled, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 2-3 carrots, peeled, diced
- 1 sweet potato, diced (peeling is optional)
- 3 bay leaves
- 3-4 tablespoons vegetable oil (for browning meat)
- 2 cups white wine
- 3 ears of fresh corn, sliced (about 3 inch slices)
- Heat the oil in a flat bottom saute pan that has a lid
- Dredge the meat in flour, brown in hot oil, remove from pan
- Saute onion for a few minutes, add garlic
- Add vegetables (except for the corn), bay leaf , stir for a minute or two
- Return the meat to the pan , scatter corn slices
- Add the wine, cover and bring to a simmer and cook until tender (about 90 minutes).
- You can thicken the sauce, but I prefer to remove meat and vegetables and simmer until the sauce is a bit thickened
Around the World in 16 Breakfasts
The most important meal of the day, the international way.
Breakfast: a worldly affair.
An Instameet by the Bay (Area).
Wildcard Winner: Texas Tailgate Burger
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Stop the soap opera.