Author Notes: Every week I take a stroll through your site. I think it is a marvelous idea and I enjoy it immensely. But this week I could not resist. A Chocolate cake !!!
I have the perfect recipe. The chocolate cakes of all chocolate cakes. With chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate. What more can a chocoholic want !!! I found the recipe in a Dutch lady's magazine once.
I have translated this recipe. I was originally written in Dutch. Although I speak the English language very well, translating a recipe is something totally different. So in advance I like to apologize for the probably strange way I wrote is down. But I think you will be able to understand it anyway.
One more thing. One of the ingredients is fine Kristal sugar. Sometimes the sugar can be very coarse. This will make the cake gritty. In cases like this I personally use a old coffee grinder to create a fine, almost powder like sugar.
- 125 g plain flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 60 g butter (non salted)
- 60 g fine Kristal sugar
- 1 egg
- 30 g pure chocolate (melted)
- pinches salt
- 200 g pure chocolate (melted)
- 300 ml double cream
- 50 ml milk
- 2 eggs
- 100 g fine Kristal sugar
- 4 drops vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- Sift the flour, a little bit of salt and 1 tbs of cocoa powder in a bowl.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a different bowl. Adding the egg and melted chocolate
- Add this mixture to the bowl with the flower and stir again until it resembles a smooth paste. Put some cling film on the work surface. Turn out the mixture and shape into a flat circle. Cover with another sheet of cling film and put in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven (190 degrees (hot air oven))
- Roll out the dough into a thin sheet and line the bottom and sides of a 22 cm greased backing tin. Place the backing tin in the refrigerator for another 15 minutes.
- Prick all over the bottom with a fork. Cover the tin with backing foil. Fill with uncooked rice of beans and bake blind for about 15 minutes. Remove the filling and backing foil. Bake for another 5 minutes. Let it cool down.
- Lower the heat to 150 degrees
- Pour 1/3 of the melted chocolate over the bottom of the cake
- Bring the double cream and milk to the boil. Adding this to the remainder of the melted chocolate. Wisk until it resembles a smooth paste. Add the eggs, sugar and a few drops of vanilla extract. Stir. Carefully pour this mixture into the tin.
- Bake for about 40 minutes. The filling will bubble but will also collapse when cooled down.
- When the cake has cooled down decorate with some cocoa powder. You can also add some chilly powder is you what to add a special kick. The cake can be served with crème fraiche or strawberries or both.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chocolate Cake