Author Notes: For a picnic, I prefer something that is an all-in-one-meal, doesn´t need plate nor cutlery, and tastes good warm and cold. This brioche is a rich, flavorful bread bun with a meat filling and a hint of fruit and herbaceous flavors from pear and rosemary. - Sabine@mamangerie
Makes 1 loaf 25x8 cm
for the dough:
- 250 grams AP wheat flour + some for kneading
- 1 teaspoon dry yeast
- 2-3 pinches salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 100 milliliters buttermilk
- 50 grams butter, melted and at room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk for glaze
- some sea salt / fleur de sel to sprinkle
- 1 handful sesame seeds to cover buttered baking tray (optional)
for the filling:
- 250 grams meat from raw coarse pork sausage
- 1/2-1 pear (ripe, but firm)
- 1 tablespoon balsamico bianco vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 2 slices bacon or other raw ham, finely chopped
- 10 grams pistaccios, coarsely chopped
- 1 egg
- In a large bowl, mix flour, yeast, buttermilk and eggs with a fork and let stand for 15 min.
- Melt butter and let cool. Butter baking tray, dust with flour and/or sesame seeds.
- Form dough to a rough rectangle and fold all sides towards the middle, to obtain a smaller rectangle. Folded sides down, place into the bowl again and let prove for another hour.
- Prepare the filling while the dough is rising: marinade diced and peeled pear with rosemary and balsamic bianco vinegar for 15 minutes.
- In a medium pan, fry sliced ham and chopped spring onions in a teaspoon of butter at high heat, for about 3 minutes, until golden and crispy. Remove from heat, add sausage meat (skin removed), incorporate well with a fork or your hands. Fold in egg, pistaccios, and marinated pear.
- Roll the dough in rectangular shape to fit your baking tray. Place filling into the middle and seal with your hands. Let prove again in the baking tray for 45-60 minutes. Glaze with egg yolk, sprinkle with salt.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 175°C for 40 minutes. Best served fresh from the oven, but also lukewarm or cold.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Recipe