If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: For a picnic, I prefer something that is an all-in-one-meal, doesn´t need plate nor cutlery, and tastes good warm and cold. This brioche is a rich, flavorful bread bun with a meat filling and a hint of fruit and herbaceous flavors from pear and rosemary. - Sabine@mamangerie
Makes 1 loaf 25x8 cm
for the dough:
- 250 grams AP wheat flour + some for kneading
- 1 teaspoon dry yeast
- 2-3 pinches salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 100 milliliters buttermilk
- 50 grams butter, melted and at room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk for glaze
- some sea salt / fleur de sel to sprinkle
- 1 handful sesame seeds to cover buttered baking tray (optional)
for the filling:
- 250 grams meat from raw coarse pork sausage
- 1/2-1 pear (ripe, but firm)
- 1 tablespoon balsamico bianco vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 2 slices bacon or other raw ham, finely chopped
- 10 grams pistaccios, coarsely chopped
- 1 egg
- In a large bowl, mix flour, yeast, buttermilk and eggs with a fork and let stand for 15 min.
- Melt butter and let cool. Butter baking tray, dust with flour and/or sesame seeds.
- Form dough to a rough rectangle and fold all sides towards the middle, to obtain a smaller rectangle. Folded sides down, place into the bowl again and let prove for another hour.
- Prepare the filling while the dough is rising: marinade diced and peeled pear with rosemary and balsamic bianco vinegar for 15 minutes.
- In a medium pan, fry sliced ham and chopped spring onions in a teaspoon of butter at high heat, for about 3 minutes, until golden and crispy. Remove from heat, add sausage meat (skin removed), incorporate well with a fork or your hands. Fold in egg, pistaccios, and marinated pear.
- Roll the dough in rectangular shape to fit your baking tray. Place filling into the middle and seal with your hands. Let prove again in the baking tray for 45-60 minutes. Glaze with egg yolk, sprinkle with salt.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 175°C for 40 minutes. Best served fresh from the oven, but also lukewarm or cold.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Recipe