If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Aprikosenkuchen is a seasonal treat in parts of Europe and they are many recipes using fresh apricots. This cakes makes a great addition to a picnic, potluck luck or afternoon snack. Only your fingers are need to eat these little morsels. —Sunnycovechef
Makes 15 to 16 pieces with an apricot in the center
- 8 apricots
- 16 small pieces of marzipan ( the size of an apricot pit)
- 5 eggs, separated, at room temperature
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- a dashes of salt
- 14 tablespoons butter at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 lemon
- a pinch of salt
- Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees. Grease an 8-by 11-inch baking pan.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. In a mixer beat the butter until smooth, slowly add the sugar and beat until fluffy, about three minutes. Add one egg yolk at a time, again beating until the mixture turns fluffy, occasionally scrapping down the sides of the bowl. Add the lemon juice, zest and vanilla. Add the flour mixture stirring as little as possible.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg whites until stiff. Using a wooden spoon incorporate half of the egg whites into the dough and then the rest. Pour dough into prepared pan.
- Cut apricots in half, discard the pit and replace with a small piece of marzipan. Put the half apricot with the skin up onto the cake. Bake for about 30 minutes. Check the cake by inserting a toothpick into the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cake is done.
- Cool the cake and cut pieces with an apricot in the center.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Recipe
Look at Those Layers
It's rice pudding meets custard meets cake
A low-effort layered "cake."
Trailblazing snacks to pack.
New to the Shop.
Can your lunch handle the commute?
It's in the bag.