If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I've always loved applesauce cake. James Beard gives a wonderful recipe in American Cookery and there is also a nice one in The Joy of Cooking. This is my version. I've added blueberries because I love the flavors of blueberries and apples together. If berries are not in season, use 1 cup of golden raisins as a substitute. I also use both whole wheat and white flour because it makes me feel that I'm making something healthy. whether any cake made with butter and brown sugar can be healthy is questionable, but regardless, people seem to like the way this tastes. - sweet enough
Serves one cake
- 1/2 pound unsalted butter at room temp
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon good quality vanilla extract
- 1 scant tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 pint blueberries
- 1 Gala apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- preheat oven to 350 degrees
- butter the inside of an bundt or tube pan
- sift all the dry ingredients together and set aside
- using an electric hand mixer or a mix master or whatever you usually use to make cake batter, cream together the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. add the eggs one at a time and then add the vanilla extract and the lemon zest.
- at a low speed, blend in about half of the flour mixture. alternate blending in the applesauce and the rest of the flour until just blended.
- using a spoon or spatula mix in the blueberries, apples and the walnuts.
- spoon batter into pan and bake for 50 minutes or until cake springs back when touched.
This burger's all that and a bag of barbecue-flavored chips.
Wildcard Winner: Texas Tailgate Burger
Prep your pans for perfection.
Behind the scenes.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Stop the soap opera.