If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A great bean salad for anytime of year. Sprouting the beans, in my experience, doesn't take any longer then to overnight soak and cook most beans but to be certain give yourself 24 to 36 hours. You can always put the sprouted beans into the fridge which will keep them from growing long tails until you are ready for them. Don't expect the beans to be starchy. They are a living plant now and are much more like a vegetable. —thirschfeld
Serves 4 to 6
- 1/3 cup dried lentils du puy or yellow shasta lentils
- 1/3 cup dried mung beans
- 1/3 cup organic dried chick peas
- 4 strips of bacon
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons reserved bacon drippings
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, minced
- 1 tablespoon chives, minced
- 2 tablespoons red onion, minced
- 2 hard boiled eggs peeled and pushed through a strainer(set over a bowl) with a spatula
- salt and fresh ground pepper
- butter leaf lettuce leaves, rinsed and dried
- Place each bean into its own 1 quart jar. Fill the jar half way with hot water. Set the jars to the back of the sink and let them sit for 4 to 6 hours.
- At the end of the soak time place a strainer backwards onto the top of the jar. Holding it firmly to the jar drain each bean of the soaking liquid.
- Every 2 to 4 hours rinse the beans and drain them in the same manner. Obviously don't get up during the night to do this. In the morning look for the tale tell white tail of a sprouted bean. If there is a tail they are ready. If not rinse and drain until you have a tail.
- Place the bacon onto a sheet tray lined with parchment paper and bake it in a heated 400? F oven for 12 to 16 minutes or until crisp tender. Remove the tray and tilt it onto a sauté pan or some other non melting item so the grease drains from the bacon but collects to one side. Let the bacon and grease cool.
- Chop the bacon into bits.
- Combine the cider vinegar with the sugar and 5 or 6 grinds of black pepper. Pour off 3 tablespoons of bacon grease into a bowl. Combine it with the cider and whisk to combine.
- Combine the sprouted beans with the bacon bits, red onion, and herbs. Season with a good pinch or more of salt. Stir in the dressing and top with the eggs mimosa. Serve atop butter leaf lettuce leaves if desired.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
No Laffy Matter
How to make peanut butter salt water taffy
How to make salt water taffy.
Independence Day, the no-recipe way.
Free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
Just for the halibut.
Savor the season.