Author Notes: This is a staple for many of us that grew up in Cuban households. A shredded beef stew that sits beautifully atop glistening white rice, this is a dish I've brought into my home so it can be a staple for my kids. - christinagp
To prepare the meat
- 2 pounds flank steak
- 1 soup bone
- 6 cups water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 tomatoes
- 3 green peppers
- 1 bunch parsley
- 1 onion
For the ropa vieja
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 green pepper
- 8 ounces canned tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 8 ounces canned pimentos
- Cut the meat into large chunks, approximately 3" in length.
- Place the meat, soup bone, salt, garlic, rough chopped tomatoes, rough chopped green peppers, parsley and rough chopped onion in a pressure cooker.
- Cover with the water.
- Close pressure cooker and place over high heat.
- Once optimal pressure has been reached, start counting 30 minutes and lower heat to medium.
- Let pressure cooker's safety pin drop and open.
- Strain liquid and reserve for beef broth.
- .Using two forks, pull the meat apart and shred into strips
- Move to the second portion of the ingredients list, 'for the ropa vieja'.
- Slice the onions into thin rings.
- Cut the green pepper into thin strips.
- Mince the garlic.
- Fry the garlic, onion and green pepper in the vegetable oil, until softened.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and cook over low heat, covered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Chop the pimentos and add to the ropa vieja stew at the end and mix well.
- Serve over white rice and a fresh salad.