If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a staple for many of us that grew up in Cuban households. A shredded beef stew that sits beautifully atop glistening white rice, this is a dish I've brought into my home so it can be a staple for my kids. - christinagp
To prepare the meat
- 2 pounds flank steak
- 1 soup bone
- 6 cups water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 tomatoes
- 3 green peppers
- 1 bunch parsley
- 1 onion
For the ropa vieja
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 green pepper
- 8 ounces canned tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 8 ounces canned pimentos
- Cut the meat into large chunks, approximately 3" in length.
- Place the meat, soup bone, salt, garlic, rough chopped tomatoes, rough chopped green peppers, parsley and rough chopped onion in a pressure cooker.
- Cover with the water.
- Close pressure cooker and place over high heat.
- Once optimal pressure has been reached, start counting 30 minutes and lower heat to medium.
- Let pressure cooker's safety pin drop and open.
- Strain liquid and reserve for beef broth.
- .Using two forks, pull the meat apart and shred into strips
- Move to the second portion of the ingredients list, 'for the ropa vieja'.
- Slice the onions into thin rings.
- Cut the green pepper into thin strips.
- Mince the garlic.
- Fry the garlic, onion and green pepper in the vegetable oil, until softened.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and cook over low heat, covered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Chop the pimentos and add to the ropa vieja stew at the end and mix well.
- Serve over white rice and a fresh salad.
Egyptian Street Food at Home
Spend quality time with The Cairo Kitchen.
The Cairo Kitchen
Boost your Bagel
Fire up the grill.
Dipped Walnut Tongs
Portable picnic snacks.